Supply Chain Management
Responses to ESG Issues in Supply Chain
Daiwa Securities Group regularly checks documents disclosed by our equipment and service providers, as well as news reports about these companies and their reputation on the Internet. If any ESG-related issues are found, we take steps such as urging the business partners to make improvements.
We also disclose statements on the prevention of slavery and human trafficking based on the U.K. Modern Slavery Act 2015.
Particularly with regard to the environment, we disclosed "Our Approach to Green Procurement," and ask suppliers to understand the Group's Environmental Vision, Environmental Principles, and Basic Environmental Policies as well as our sustainability promotion system and the purpose of supply chain management.
For our business operations we also formulated the Environmental and Social Policy Framework to strengthen our system for managing environmental and social risks in new investments and loans, and the underwriting of bonds and stocks issuance (hereinafter, financing). We will carry out ESG due diligence for businesses that may have significant negative impacts on the environment and society to determine whether or not to provide financing according to the Framework.
When underwriting an initial public offering, we carry out due diligence in accordance with the items stipulated in the Rules Concerning Underwriting, etc. of Securities by the Japan Securities Dealers Association. In such due diligence, we incorporate an ESG perspective as well as the Environmental and Social Policy Framework and focus not only on business performance and financial aspects but also on other items as key issues, such as the issuer’s business model, social reputation, the status of compliance with laws and regulations, the implementation of a compliance system and corporate governance, and the planned uses of the proceeds. We conduct more thorough due diligence on these issues by undertaking field work, meetings and other initiatives, and sometimes make proposals for improvement to the issuer. If major concerns remain even after taking such measures, we report them to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO).
We also collect information provided by public institutions within and outside Japan and exchange information with external parties to be aware of ESG issues existing in the countries and regions where the Group conducts business operations. We then consider taking appropriate measures for important issues.
"Declaration of Partnership Building"
- Daiwa Securities Group Inc. (“the Company”) declares that we will focus on the following items in order to build a new partnership by promoting cooperation, coexistence and co-prosperity with business partners in the supply chain and businesses aiming to create value.
- 1.Coexistence and co-prosperity of the entire supply chain and new cooperation beyond scale and affiliate
- By working with the other business partners through direct business partners (from "Tier N" to "Tier N + 1"), we will work to increase the added value of the entire supply chain, and at the same time, we aim to build coexistence and co-prosperity with our business partners through collaboration that goes beyond scale and existing business relationships. At that time, from the perspective of business continuity in the event of a disaster and work style reform, we will also promote support such as the introduction of telework for business partners and advice on BCP (Business Continuity Plan) formulation.
(Individual item)Our mission is to contribute to the development of society and the economy through financial and capital markets, and we are focusing on solving social issues that are becoming more complex and diversified with the times. By providing all of our solutions, including support for industrial development and reorganization, discovery and development of new industries, funding support for solving social issues, and business succession consulting, we aim to maximize value and utility to all stakeholders including business partners.
a. Cooperation between companies
d. Greening effortsIt is also necessary to solve environmental problems in order to create a sustainable and prosperous society. We have formulated the "The Daiwa Securities Group Net Zero Carbon Declaration", and we support a smooth transition to a carbon-free society through financial businesses, including support the realization of a decarbonized society through finance, support for new technologies that contribute to the realization of a decarbonized society, the provision of investment opportunities for them, promoting solution businesses such as advisory businesses for customers in the field of renewable energy. In addition, in order to reduce the environmental load of society as a whole, including the supply chain, we have announced "Our Approach to Green Procurement" that stipulates environmental considerations in procurement activities. Furthermore, in order to strengthen the management system for environmental and social risks in our business, we have formulated the "Environmental and Social Policy Framework" and will work with our suppliers and business partners to solve environmental problems throughout the supply chain.
e. Efforts on health managementWe will work on practicing health management, public awareness, and health management support for business partners.
- 2.Compliance with "Promotion Standards"
We will comply with desirable business practices between main subcontracting enterprise and subcontractors (“Promotion Standards” based on the Act on the Promotion of Subcontracting Small and Medium-sized Enterprises), and we will actively correct business practices that hinder the establishment of partnerships with business partners.
(1) Price determination methodWe will not make unreasonable cost reduction requests. When deciding price, if there is a request for consultation from the subcontractor, we will respond to the consultation and fully discuss it so as to include the appropriate profit of the subcontractor, such as considering the impact of the increase in labor costs. When making a contract, including the determination of price, the parent company will clearly indicate and deliver the contract conditions in writing, etc.
(2) Payment terms such as billsThe subcontract price will be paid in cash if possible. When paying by bill, we will try not to bear the discount fee etc. on the subcontractor and make the payment terms within 60 days.
(3)Intellectual property and know-howWe will conduct the transaction based on the guidelines and contract templates for intellectual property transactions, and we will not request to make a one-sided nondisclosure agreement, disclose know-how using the transaction position, and transfer intellectual property rights without compensation.
(4) Wrinkles due to work style reforms, etc.In order for our business partners to harmonize to work style reforms, we will not place orders for short delivery times or make sudden changes in specifications to subcontractors without appropriate cost burden. In the event of a disaster, we will not impose a one-sided burden on subcontractors in terms of transactions, and when resuming business, we will give consideration to the continuation of business relationships if possible.
- 3.Others (optional description)
We have "Contributing to society" as one of our Corporate Principles, and we believe that it is our mission to contribute to the development of society and economy through financial and capital markets. With a high sense of morality and duty, we aim to contribute to the sustainable development of the society. We will pursue both social and economic value by emphasizing communication with all stakeholders, including our business partners, and solving social issues that we have grasped through the active communication.
February 8, 2022
(Updated October 14, 2022)
Daiwa Securities Group Inc.
President and CEO,